View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #49
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
China is going to bring in more money than North American women?

I'll believe that when I see it.
IIRC the Chinese team was in the league because they are hosting the winter Olympics and are interested in building their women's team to be competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
per the Athletic the NWHL is now looking at adding a Montreal and Toronto team. Calgary wouldn't be an option unless a major donor stepped in to help with cost and travel.

https://theathletic.com/898427/2019/...bruptly-folds/
The Flames are already involved (I think) but I'm not sure to what extent, that is why the team name and colors are what they are. Ideally the Flames will do the right thing and continue to help out, as will the NHL. Ideally the two leagues will find a way to merge and I think the eastern teams will be an easier fit. Calgary will be a tough sell due to its isolation but it is doable if there are sponsors.

It's a shame, the team (and league) were huge in promoting female hockey and what they did at the local level was outstanding. Essentially the entire team acted as mentors for the various female teams that are part of Girls Hockey Calgary (this is the same as any other MHA in Calgary for those who are unfamiliar - equivalent to a Springbank, Bow Vallet etc.) and volunteered their time at practices etc. They were great role models to our girls. The entire GHC organization rebranded themselves to align with the Inferno as well. GHC community teams are Junior Inferno and the elite female teams are branded as Fire. The community will lose a lot if the team is gone for good. Yes there is a lot of hockey in Calgary but there was only one female team for half our population to look up to.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: