View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #2235
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve got some buddies that I’ll be going with, and I find a little post ride tailgating adds a lot to any ride. But the clothing part of it is a question for me...any particular suggestions?
Not a fatbiker but generally for high output winter activities you want to be thinking about breathability. Start with a merino / moisture-wicking base layer next to the skin. Then add warmth in layers (so you can scale up / down depending on weather) but be sure to buy items that are breathable.

Merino base layer + medium-weight insulating midlayer (think Arc'teryx Atom, Patagonia NanoPuff or similar) is probably all you'll need most days. If you tend to overheat, a vest can do wonders to help keep your core warm. It might be worth it to have a hard / waterproof shell in your bag that you can pull on if the weather takes a turn or things get windy. Not sure if fat bikers buy special pants or what so will let others chime in, but if it were me I'd consider a softshell snowpant, maybe look at XC skiing gear? Lastly, for your extremities... DeFeet makes my fav winter cycling socks. And winter commuters swear by their Bar Mitts. I assume Fatbikers would do the same.

In general, you won't need as many layers as you think (as has already been mentioned plan to feel a bit cold leaving the parking lot, but you'll warm up fast because biking is high output). Consider a down layer that fits over your other layers that you can pull on when you stop (you'll get cold fast when not moving).

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-22-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post: