View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #257
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Lottery protection is something that can be built into trades at the individual deal level. Surprised more deals don't have that though.

But I don't know that it needs to be a mandated thing.

I think though a mandated rule could be something like

"If the traded pick is in the top 5, and the team that traded that pick still owns their first for the next year, then they can trade that future pick instead and retain the top 5 pick. The future pick has no additional lottery protection".

I don't think it’s fair if picks are deferred years because the trading team has no future picks. They need to own their future 1st. Which may deter teams from constantly trading those picks.
I guess when I suggested it I was thinking of the prespective if an owner quits, the new guy comes in and has a bad team and no picks. This is what seems to be the problem we are trying to fix. Maybe if a new owner comes in with no picks, their first is top 5 propected?

I started in this league with one of the worst teams in the standings, a team that was old and way over the cap but I also did not have my first. I didn't trade the first.

Not sure how often it happens but if the new GMs came in and have no picks it sets them back for years and some probably quit trying to dig out of the hole.

I'm ok to leave it too, just an idea. Can't always cater to people who quit when they start with less.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote