View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 04:35 PM   #268
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
So I've listened to every show thus far, and as optimistic as I was when they got going, I'm finding it less and less enjoyable. They have picked up a ton of sponsors and not 5 minutes goes by where they are not plugging one of them or doing one of the sponsored bits. The Montana's something or other, the Liquor store this and that, Bon Ton who ha bit, Honda Pinder report, the big way bets, Serge at Tower Chrysler, the stupid pond hockey thing, it is never ending. These are the exact reasons radio is failing; Boomer and Pinder should know this, and yet this Podcast is succumbing to the same spiral.

I think it's a double edged sword in a lot of ways. The truth is not matter what in life, NOTHING is actually free in any real way. Air is free and not a long list of other things. Somebody is paying for it in some capacity along the way.

We are seeing that now with some of the streaming services like Netflix. Everybody likes to think they are paying for these catalog of shows and $100 million productions with $10 a month costs. Now that a lot of investor money is drying up, they are introducing the ad based models.

Sooner or later, outside of the most premium + package, all the services will be supported by ads and someone will package them together, but it won't be considered "cable"

These guy's need to pay their mortgages, feed their families and I assume pay for their actual guests to come on a lot of the times. If it isn't Sportsnet, TSN, ESPN, Fox Sports etc paying serious salaries (sometimes millions) to these reporters, insiders etc to make radio hit's, than you really want to wanna come onto the show and talk sports to the Calgary audience.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote