View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 01:11 PM   #345
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I work with a lot of seniors and with out a doubt the ones who are the happiest are also the ones who have the best mobility. Strength for aesthetics is over rated, but strength as it relates to mobility is super underrated.

So underrated. I also interacted with elderly individuals through work, but the people I encountered tended to be quite mobile and I never fully grasped the profound impact that mobility could have on one's sense of happiness.

In 2018 I had to relearn how to walk again, and had to use a walker and then canes until about 2021. But I could only go, I don't know, one or two blocks - and forget about uneven terrain. Also lost my licence at that time (doctors or nurses don't actually take your licence, just "take your licence." Okay. But I digress . . .)

Initially, I don't recall being tethered to a ball and chain overly bothersome as I was likely focused on health issues. However, as time passed, the restricted mobility and consequent lack of freedom or personal agency became progressively more distressing. I regained the ability to drive around 2022, albeit restricted to daytime hours. The last few winters where darkness hits as early as 4:00 p.m. can be pretty miserable times.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post: