View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #480
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Rooney has played 16 games. That’s more than 50% of the season so far, how is that “not really playing”?

You seem stuck on the idea that the 4th line is a dumping zone where you can’t put any player of quality and the guys who play there are garbage anyway so it doesn’t matter. Too many points for Ruz, too many for Dube, etc etc. I’d rather see a 4th line that can do something, wouldn’t you?

Ritchie and Lucic should be splitting games sharing one spot. Let Rooney play 0. Put Ruzicka or Dube as the center on that line and put a call up in the top 9 or put a call up on that line. Lewis got 12 minutes last night, that’s plenty to see how comfortable a call up is in the NHL, plus they’re protected by two “intangible” heavy guys.

Lots of options. As you said, treating the 4th line as a place for grinders and plugs only is just taking a very limited view of things. Let’s get some quality on it.
Rooney played every game in October, considerably less since.

When have I said they shouldn't call someone up? When have I said they fourth line is the Island of Misfit Toys, to be devoid of all skill and only impact the game negatively?

I said they generally don't score much, ... that's the case across the league, not just in Calgary.

There's a big issue with too much ice time going to the fourth line in Calgary right now, that gets exasperated if you balance the lines out. They need to get more top heavy not less.

I'd strip the fourth line down to 8 minutes max, and with that I wouldn't burry quality prospects in that role.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote