View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I recall one time when I was a kid and I littered on the ground. Some random man yelled at me for it. I was terrified, but I never littered again after that.

I did receive attitude from a woman in Wal-Mart before though when I told her son it was "bad" that he was screaming. I asked him to please stop, and he asked why, and I said because it's bad. The mother started yelling at me "don't tell my kid he is bad". After that I became a little more shy about bothering and just bite my tongue.
Yeah dude, that's not cool. Unless the kid is doing something directly to you, or is dangerous you should probably mind your own business. Or I guess if your working there.

Not to say you are wrong, the 'please stop' part seems ok. But you ddefinitely crossed the line by saying it was bad. In the grand scheme of things, a screaming kid is hardly new or unusual anyway. Never been on a plane? Toy store at Christmas? Etc.

Often the parent is not oblivious anyway (though some are, or just lazy) and they have their own ways of disciplining that they know works. By stepping in, you might be undermining that.

Lastly, though I know it didn't happen in this case, but it's in your thread title; yelling at a kid is rarely acceptable. There are ways of reprimanding, and yes, even reasoning with children, that don't involve raising your voice. And they often work better.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post: