View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #3470
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That's just a wacky tier system. You have a "no-tier" in your tier system!

If you look at all the movies that have made $300M+, it's a list that's pretty inclusively: superheroes, star wars, pop culture franchises (Twilight, LOTR, HP) and animated (Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks).

Anything over $200M is huge, especially for something not geared towards children.
Right but my tiers are about the expectations, not necessarily the result.

How come with Venom and Solo, with identical "huge" $213M domestic gross, one is a big success and one is a disappointment? Because one would've been projected to hit low-tier, but hit mid-tier, and the other projected top tier, fell to mid-tier. It's just a predictive model I use to gauge relative commercial success of a movie and it's almost always spot on. Same with Logan being a runaway success at $226M and Justice League a disappointment at $229M.

I'm also saying $250M max right now. If I had to make a bet, today, I'm not sure I would even go over $200M. It's still a Tom Cruise lead movie which, outside the Mission: Impossible franchise, his movies have struggled to break even $100M for the last 15 years. It's a sequel to a well known and loved 80's movie which should give it a boost, but it's also coming out in the middle of summer, two weeks before another sequel to a well known and loved 80's movie (Ghostbusters) and three weeks before a big original Christopher Nolan action movie. So, while it'll likely hit a decent opening weekend from all the fans, it'll also likely struggle to have legs through the rest of the summer, unless it's really good. Before this very well received trailer I would've been nervous to even give it $150M, but this raised it's stock quite a bit.

Sorry, I just really like box office stuff lol. We do a pool at work predicting box office results, so I'm kind of deep in to it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote