View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #80
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Hypothetically, he sits out or demands a trade prior, and the Flames lose the asset for pennies on the dollar.

Great work hypothetical Brad, your weird hypothetical negotiation tactic with your top goal scorer from Feb-April paid off.

(But seriously, it’d be nice if the RFA power dynamic was as one sided as you seem to think it is, but... alas, the real world and all)

Thanks. Your equally weird, I suppose, appreciation of that one (1) goal in the entire month of February is also great work. That goal was a beauty.

The guy had a 3 game stretch with 6 goals, including 2 very productive games, Vegas and NYR, where he got 5.

There are what, about 30 games after the all star break?

Just because the other top players crapped the bed doesn’t entitle Tkachuk to be paid like them. That’s weird, too, man. Derek Ryan was a better player than Tkachuk post all star break.

I’m not saying the power dynamic is totally one sided, but that’s the whole point of how RFA status can close the gap. At some point, the ‘R’ means you have limitations on the leverage.

All of the other situations with top dollar contracts that people mention, it is desperate GMs like Chiarelli who has to put *something* on the ice , same in Buffalo, and Toronto is nuts and Dubas is green.

It’s obvious to me. You don’t back up the truck to a RFA. Yes, you pay him fairly, but you don’t over pay beyond what is necessary