View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #872
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
One could say the same today. If I an Universal Studios, or Sony Pictures, or MGM why would I stay with Netflix and not do my own streaming service?

I don't think the average consumer wants to subscribe to each channel/content provider's service separately and then remember what is where, or open one app, browse, close it, open another, etc.

For sure there will be some people - like the majority of CP members - who would subscribe to SportsNet at full price and stand alone, because we are sports fans. But many people who watch the occasional game might not, but would take it if it was included with ABC/NBC/CBC which they want to watch their primetime TV shows - for the extra few bucks they can watch the game when they get the urge.

The average CP fan might want to get TSN,SportsNet, Fox Sports, etc. But they might not be willing to pay full price for say the Gameshow Network, or TLC. So the same kind of package would apply here.
I imagine what we'll see is variious apps like say Discovery/Scripps that offer cheap or free ad supported versions and $5-10 ad free options. The big conglomerates that have the expensive channels (Disney/ESPN, Fox, NBCUniversal, etc.) will do the same where they bundle their own properties for $10-15 ad-free/cheaper with ads.

Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV both already do a decent job of letting you go directly to a show from their main menu regardless of what app it is on.

I currently am on Directv Now IPTV, which saved a lot of money over regular Directv. With that, I get access to all the various TV network apps. But it's hard to see the value that Directv Now provides over the various apps which are becoming more and more consistent. I would be surprised if these services survive past the point of reach mass market.

Disney/ESPN are going to be in for a huge correction though as this all plays out. I think enough people value ESPN to make it viable once it basically become a la carte. But their revenue is going to take at least a 50-75% hit when people are no longer forced to pay $15/month for them.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote