View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #33
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
Just a small qualitative side-note (which I'm sure someone could look-up "Fancy Stats" on) -> but it really seemed like the 3M line was mostly out there 5-on-5 with Gio and Hamilton. I'm sure Gio and Dougie saw lots of time with "Our #1 Line" but watching AC's video it seems as though the 3M line really was our #1 line. I wonder how other teams defended the Flames? Johnny and Mony get top-flight coverage or second-rate?

It's obvious that the 3M line is awesome on it's own. They would be causing teams fits regardless of the D pairing out with them...but does some of the credit for their monster possession numbers go to Gio and Dougie? Or vice-versa. Or most likely -> are all five NHL elite and together they can't be stopped?

This season, the Flames really should be able to run two solid SOLID 5-on-5 units out there...with Bennett hopefully taking advantages of mis-matches on the 3rd line.
I remember reading somewhere that if we could play those 5 players the entire game we would never lose. I would think the other teams view that group as our top line and defend accordingly.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote