View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When i built my home theatre in last townhouse (paper thin shared walls). I built a box within a box concept. I used separated staggered double stud walls with sound insulation, soundboard with two layers of drywall with no overlapping seams. On the ceiling, I used sound insulation, soundboard, two layers of 5/8 drywall. One was fastened normally, the other with resilient channel. Again, with no overlapping seams. I used an exterior grade solid door & frame.

Part of the reason I did this was to gain first-hand knowledge for my clients when I am designing their theatres. The other reason of course is I really want to enjoy my space at proper volume and not have my neighbors hate me.

It turned out very well, I tested with my sound meter and at 115 decibels (think leaf blower, rock concert, chainsaw levels), it barely raised the noise floor of my main level ~10 decibels which would be like adding a very soft voice to a quiet room.

In the whole time I lived there, my neighbours never heard me playing a movie (I asked).

So with proper design, you can really attenuate sound in a room.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote