View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #103
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

All I keep thinking reading this thread is "wow Mathgod must REALLY hate baseball"

If we have a different weight for games in the regular season to help good teams that had bad luck (injuries) then shouldn't the good teams have the same advantage in the playoffs?

ie: 1st seed goes up 3 games to 1, then call the series there, whereas if the bottom seed beats the 1st seed in 7 games, the top seed should get another game to try and tie the series.

Sports, like life, doesn't have equity. The best the league can do is set up a system of equality. 82 games, every game is worth the same. The teams good enough to be in the playoffs should be able to make the playoffs over a 6 month schedule. Every team will have injuries, every team will have adversity.

If games were weighted would it be fair to have trades? Should a team be rewarded for trading up at the trade deadline when a team that doesn't played the same roster all season?

Another poster also mentioned, you'll get teams that will sit players at the start of the season so they are healthy later in the season.

Now if you want to talk about eliminating the 3 point games, I'm all for that. Go win-loss. I don't like that the NHL already has a participation ribbon for games, and it affects the standings. The last week of the season would have been much different given that Anaheim has 9 more points than the Flames, but only one more win. I think that's foolish.

But here I am arguing against the weighted games we already have, not finding ways to make game values even more unequal.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote