View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #20
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I certainly respect that opinion for sure.

Goalies are so tough to chart, we just don't have any idea.

I land on the side of the pedigree. Nobody straight lines to stardom, there are always bumps in the road. Given his mental battle and coming out with it at a young age he looks to have tackled it at a very young age. This year at camp he said he hasn't felt better since turning pro.

But really ... Memorial Cup, World Junior Gold playing huge roles. A follow up season where he single handedly won a OHL playoff series suggests lots of potential is there.

And to me that's the point.
First, let me preface this with saying I hope for nothing but the best for Tyler Parsons. If he can become an NHL player for the Flames, that would be amazing.

That said, I unfortunately have a lot of experience with mental illness in my family, and I don't think it's something you tackle and move on from. It's something Parsons will deal with for his entire life. Becoming an NHL goalie is already a near impossible task, and now he also has whatever his mental illness is to deal with. It's just another huge hurtle thrown in his path. Stress is a huge trigger for bad episodes, at least for my family members, and what is more stressful than being a professional goalie, under scrutiny all the time?

Hopefully Parsons can prove me completely wrong. But for the purpose of this ranking exorcise I think he's going to be way too high on the list.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote