View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #204
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Backlund stepped up at 22/23 and had showed some positive growth along the way. Bennett has been going the wrong direction with his development. Was projected to be a top line center, then a second line winger, now a third line role player, and he's struggling there as well. Bennett is not showing the same potential Backlund did, in any shape or form. The thing that held Backlund back was injuries, but he worked through those and continued to show positive growth in his game.
No. No, he is not "struggling." Bennett looks just fine on the third line.

Quote:
As far as development goes, I like to use the 250 game played mark to determine the type of player a guy is going to be. For Backlund, that 250 game mark was reached when he was 24, and he had established himself as what we see today - a solid 2nd line player with high end 3rd line capability. Bennett has played 286 games and he is on pace to score 12goals and 29 points. That is consistent with his last two seasons. Sam Bennett is what he is, a 25-30 point player who tries really hard but doesn't accomplish much. If he had some speed I would call him the modern day Paul Ranheim.

If the Flames could get something of value that would improve the team now or restock the cupboards with some good prospects, I would move him. He is not an integral part of the team and is nothing more than a widget at this point.
This is also selling him far short (to say nothing of his skating). Bennett looks like he could be a clutch playoff performer. He was surprisingly good as a rookie in the 2015 post-season, and then again he was one the Flames two best forwards in the 2016 playoffs. He seems to play his best in big games, and under lots of pressure, and I think could become an invaluable piece in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: