View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Just out of curiousty, how do you pull off the "I got another job offer, give me more money or I will leave" talk. I have always, maybe wrongly, just assumed that they would say "okay, good luck". I mean, I feel somewhat useful, but I don't know if I could pull that off.
Usually, you want something on hand that you are willing to take. If you get to the point of receiving an offer with another company, then mention that you're being offered at least $X (assuming wage negotiation and potentially not exact same job role) to do Y at another company (don't have to mention co if you don't want to, but people can figure out quickly) and see if the company is willing to try and match salary, give promotion, other incentives like work from home, vacation etc. If not, then likely you should consider taking the other role rather than give up a promotion/salary raise.

In some ways, it's like calling retention for whatever reason with another provider's deal and asking if company is willing to match it.

It doesn't have to be a bridge burning ordeal and it generally should be as simple as a cordial discussion of, "I am being offered this. Because I am currently employed by you, I am giving you an opportunity to match it before I accept the offer."

But as Tiger said, don't rely too heavily on a bluff. Because if you bluff incorrectly, they may congratulate you out the door and then you have no job. Blankall's comment is also valid. You may run into people again, so being polite about the whole ordeal is important.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote