View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #138
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I've never understood why anyone expects any athlete to make any decisions except for themselves completely, they work for teams that don't give an ever loving damn about them in sports that would happily have them brain damaged it it wasnt for the fact that they got found out.

Hockey, Football, Soccer are all the same, players are only as good as their current stats and even then that doesnt matter if they can be moved to make a trade happen or tank for a pick.

Any and all teams will move them no matter that they have a family, a life, kids in school etc, the day I hear a coach say they arent going to trade some journeyman 3rd line forward with no NMC on their contract because he's been with the team for several years and is a good employee who's daughter is just starting school so it wouldnt be fair to use them to dump salary, then I will expect players to have loyalty
I agree with 99% of this, except for the "never understanding bit". Not to sound like a smart ass, but its to me obvious, people don't think rationally when it comes to their loyalty to the sports team brand (i.e. a certain arena debate). They expect the same loyalty out of the players that they have "shown" to them on the team (with the fan usually looking back with rosy glasses forgetting all the times they may have cursed or booed a player).

The sport teams themselves are complicit in this as well, everything about attending a game is to bring you into their tribe and "religion" of the team. Its good marketing.

This doesn't mean its right, its 100% wrong. To the player, it may just be a job, and that is 100% ok.

/obvious post
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post: