View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #1194
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
There are different parking permits based on building situation. Some are residential and charged every two years while others are multi family and designated as Select or Market. The Market permits are the ones for larger condos and are charged monthly.
Yeah, missed that, good point.
But that's also for buildings with more than 20 units.
There needs to be an incentive for people in a building that large not to park on the street, because there isn't a single neighborhood in the city that can handle that level of street parking. If people aren't willing to buy into a condo because they'll have to pay $150/month to park on the street, then developers will start providing more parking.

I used to live in a townhouse complex where everyone had a garage and a driveway, and still our biggest issue parking. People assume it's the god given right to park wherever they like, and that's not sustainable.

I truly believe the city needs to densify inner city neighborhoods (I live in one such neighborhood), but we can't rely on street parking when we're planning it. You can't put a 20 unit building onto a lot with 100-200 ft of street frontage and expect street parking to make up the difference.

Essentially by letting street parking go unabated we've been subsidizing developers. We need to give builders incentives to add parking in the building, and to do that we need to incentivize buyers to demand/require it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post: