View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 08:20 PM   #1187
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well I don’t think there can be much debate about what a century home is. But I hardly see any with garages in the inner city. I’m sure some exist somewhere. But garages weren’t exactly a common thing when houses were getting built before the invention of cars.

The number of houses that remain in the city that predate cars is pretty damn low, much less neighborhoods.

If it seems like inner city homes don't have garages because the streets are filled with cars, it's because you typically don't see the alleys, and their garages are likely being used for storage and they just park for free on the street instead. Or park the nice car in the garage and the other on the street. Subsidizing people's private property storage is something we as a city need to get away from, and getting the elderly to stop driving is also something that is typically in our best interest. If they're feeling the pinch because of a policy like this, I'd call it a win for driving by getting more elderly people off the road, and a win in giving financial incentive to get people to clean out their garage.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote