View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #52
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
yeah, it would blow chunks to be a cheapas$ until you are 50 and then die of either a heart attack or cancer. I would be one angry ghost
This is exactly whats happened recently in my family and its changed things as far as mindset goes.

Have now begun to realize that saving all the money for the time in life when you won't be able to enjoy it, is pretty regrettable. That is, if you even make it to that point in life. Otherwise someone else gets the fruits of your labour.

Need to add, in my situation there is no plan to retire. Own my business, the work is easy and fun and isn't physically taxing so other than major health problems in my old age, have no problem continuing to work or even do a bit of consulting.

Not everyone has that advantage - if you are planning to stop working you'll have to save and that's it. But if you don't plan to retire it certainly is nice to afford yourself a couple luxuries here and now.

Should add, not advocating to take on consumer debt or live paycheck to paycheck. That's just stupid. But there certainly is something to be said for living in the here and now, at least to some extent.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post: