View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #49
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I agree. However 30 lbs of pure muscle is a huge amount. Also unless you were both obese and weak to begin with, you'd see some fat gain with that. So you'd more like be putting on 40-50 lbs. This is going to change your body composition dramatically. Even 1/3 of that could affect your ability to run long distances, due to the extra weight alone.

That being said, to gain that type of muscle takes a lot of focus and work. It's not a case of having a squat day once a week, and then accidentally getting so huge you can't run long distances anymore.

My weight fluctuates between 155-170 lbs, depending on my routine and diet. When I'm smaller, my big lifts go down. When I'm bulked up, long distances become noticably harder. And it's not just extra fat that's causing that. Even when my bodyfat percentage is lower, if I have too much mass bodyweight and long distance running are harder. Even a 5 lbs difference is noticable.
Why are you suggesting you'd have fat gain with muscle gain? (I feel like we've had this discussion before..).

Just gain muscle and lose fat.

Here is one study showing fat free mass not affecting but fat mass affecting race times in ages >35. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3525821/

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote