View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #146
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Teams do not have similar lists early in the draft so that would be a bad assumption to make. I agree with the previous poster, should look at a 2nd rounder as a commodity worth what 2nd rounders are typically traded for.
How do you value a second pick then? We agree that some drafts are strong and some are weak. So you can't use value from previous drafts. There is also a huge value different between pick 31 and pick 60.

I think that the only way to set a value is to look at the player you would have taken. Now, we can't know who the Flames would have taken. They have a good idea of who they would be taking when the pick was traded but we don't have that information. So I think you can look at who the senators took as a rough approximation. And da-chief noted that if you look at the 5 players taken before and after, you can probably get close to who the Flames would have taken.

That brings us to your comment that lists are dissimilar. How similar do you think the lists are? I assume that the Flames and senators would rank all the same players and its rare that any player would be more then ten spots apart on the two lists in the 1st round. I'll guess that there is about twice as much spread in the 2nd round. That's what I mean by similar.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote