View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #37
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't hesitate to give Backlund a long term contract in exchange for saving AAV.

Backlund does the heavy lifting. It allows Monahan to get better match-ups and put up more points. It allows Bennett to be sheltered and develop at his own pace.

Trading Backlund if Jankowski does better? Well, you cross that bridge when/if it comes to that, but those are some pretty big shoes to fill now. He is one of the best defensive centers in the league now.

Expecting anyone in the organization to develop to his level can not be a legitimate expectation. Might happen. Jankowski might be good enough to make Backlund expendable for other assets, but let's get something clear here:

Backlund is elite at what he does. He is probably more elite at what he does than Johnny is elite at what he does. Both elite skill-sets are critical to winning in the NHL.

Also, if Jankowski ever does become even more elite than Backlund (for the sake of argument), then I would love it if Jankowski pushed Backlund to the wing. Jankowski AND Backlund AND Frolik all being extraordinarily good defensively while putting up a decent amount of points? Yeah, I would keep that if possible.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: