View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #30
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I'm I suppose a rare fan in that I don't get attached to any players as I've seen so many come and go over the decades I really only care about the team. There's not a single player on the team that I would shed a tear if moved in a solid trade. I feel the Flames are in a good place in the middle and if Bennett and Jankowski both at least meet (not even exceed) some expectations that the team really won't need to sign Backlund to one of those long deals that becomes a boat anchor in the 2nd half of the deal.
I actually don't think posters here are "nreasonablyattached" to Backlund.

I just think that there are numerous different opinions on his worth to the Flames. Yours is obviously less than some.

And often the problem with not giving any of those contracts where the 2nd half is a drag on the team. It means letting important pieces go and while you may stay competitive for a longer period, you aren't ever a true contender.

Anaheim's contract with Kesler is a good example. I will stinkin the 2nd half. But Anaheim wasn't likely going to win the SC without him. Sometimes you need to go for it while you can and understand there will be a down period later on.

In a cap world, no one will remain a contender for a long period. You need to maximize those years when your chances are greatest, and live with the inevitable long term consequences of some contracts. I may well be the cost of a SC these days.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote