View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 2018/19 NCAA Basketball thread

Thought I would start this as the season is underway though not a lot matters until February.

But...

A giant LOL to this...

Quote:
On Monday, the NCAA released its first-ever edition of the men's basketball NET ratings to boos from observers who wondered how a tool created to make things better had actually yielded more baffling results than the method it was designed to replace.

Among the head-scratchers in the initial rankings released three weeks into the 2018-19 season: Kentucky is ranked 61st. The Wildcats have one, 34-point neutral site loss to Duke, the Associated Press poll's No. 1 team last week.

Ohio State, which has wins against four sub-200 squads in KenPom.com's rankings, is No. 1 in the NET ratings.

Loyola Marymount, a team with a 7-0 record, started its season with a victory over Westcliff University, an unaffiliated school. Yet the Lions (10th) are ranked one spot ahead of Kansas, which has neutral-site wins over Michigan State and Tennessee, both top-10 teams in the latest AP poll.

Michigan State is also four spots ahead of the Kansas team it lost to in the Champions Classic.
Quote:
Among the critics of the new system Monday was statistician Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight, who called the first list "the worst rankings I've ever seen in any sport, ever."

"I guess I'm not sympathetic because a lot of smart people have worked on this problem (power rankings) for a LONG time and the NCAA ignored all that and came up with something that doesn't reflect methodological best practices and which doesn't make sense, basketball-wise," Silver wrote on Twitter.

At least there are multiple layers of playoffs to eliminate most of this BS, but still.