View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #580
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I remember Sampras and Federer played some exhibition matches after Sampras had retired, and Sampras even beat Fed once. It's crazy that he retired at 31 that seems so young, you have to think he figured his 14 Grand Slams were safe no need to keep playing. I wonder if he regrets retiring at 31 seeing Fed and Nadal continue to dominate in their 30s.
I believe Pete has mentioned on a few occasions that he wishes he swapped out his trusty 85 square inch Pro Staff for a modern racquet; he says it could have extended his career. I think it definitely would have allowed him to hang around longer with all the baseline pounding youngsters, but an athlete of the 90's is a totally different specimen than the scientifically managed freaks we have today. they just didn't have the knowledge around training and nutrition (and...supplements??) to maintain peak physical levels so long.

I also think Roger hung on too long to his Pro Staff 90. might have picked up a couple extra slams during those lean years between 2010-2014. I'll fully admit that when I actually played a little, I went with the giant head Babolat Aero and the grippiest spinniest Luxilon strings. I still sucked but it was fun doing the buggy whip forehand and watching the ball bounce up near my opponent's head.