View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #578
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Pistol Pete comes in at #4. Such a good player in any era, him and Agassi were the originals before Nadal and Fed came and broke all the records. I would love to see a prime vs prime matchup between him and Federer at Wimbledon, would be amazing. When he retired many were thinking that 14 grand slams would never be broken, now we may have 3 men do it in 30 years.
I'm not even sure which Fed I'd want to do that computer simulation with, the 2006 baseline assassin or the 2017 serve + smother version. I was too young and fickle to really appreciate Pete and even remember cheering against him towards the end of his career for whatever reason, but he was the ultimate fast tennis machine and might have been the reason they slowed Wimbledon grass down in the early 2000's. that's like how they changed the rules for offsetting penalties because of Gretzky.

comically though, my enduring memory of Pete will always be his charity Hit for Haiti in 2010 with Andre, Rafa and Fed. probably the cringiest thing that has ever happened on court.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post: