View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 02:24 AM   #111
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
What about just putting a third ref upstairs and giving him full access to all the angles and pause/rewind functionality that the broadcast team has? Like give him a room with a big screen and the ability to have someone in the truck replay things from different angles. Give him a headset that switches between the guy in the truck and the refs on the ice. Then take away all team challenges, with the understanding that everything is being replayed upstairs by a third ref who can not only call things down that the refs miss, but will also be used in conjunction with the refs on the ice to get their calls right too.

It's not about someone upstairs questioning on-ice calls, and/or overriding on-ice officials. It's about the people reffing the game adding an incredibly useful tool to their team and working together to get it right.

Examples:
On-ice ref: Road #5 is down; I didn't see it.
Upstairs: Clean hit. ...

Upstairs: Puck in. Good goal for Calgary
Ref: *blows whistle*
Ref: *watches replay while communicating with upstairs*
Ref: *goes to center ice and signals good goal*
Deputy Commissioner: *awards Conn Smythe to Jarome Iginla*
Commissioner: *awards Stanley Cup to Calgary Flames*

Great endearing finish. Yet I do agree with the third ref in the stands approach. This within the confines of their own media centre is a great solution. Great gig for retired minor leaguers and such. Yet I think it’s effective for the scenarios you stated. What would it cost the league ? 16 more jobs roughly? 1 for each potential game ina given night? 16 x 100k. 1.6 mi? Not that much considering how it could alter the game in such a net positive for a multi billion dollar league. It was in.