View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #128
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
My first reaction to this is to respond with something incredibly rude and dismissive that might rhyme with "No luck yourself."

Frankly, you don't know me. You don't know my kids. You don't have the first clue about my "default response." You also don't have a clear layout of my property, my driveway, the location of the basketball hoop at the time of the incident, the distance, size and construction of my neighbor's driveway.

Comments about fence etiquette is certainly relevant, and I tend to agree with most: Jumping the fence is unacceptable, and a discussion with neighbors about their own expectations is the right approach. These are conversations that I don't believe I had ever had with any of my kids in the past. But then again, there was never a fence between my and the neighbor's yard for the first 13-years we have lived here. The previous neighbors weren't at all inconvenienced by the occasional ball on their property—the fence is new within the past few months.

But yeah, everyone knows the rules now. We moved the basketball to the other side of the driveway after the incident, and I installed a 6' fence between the driveways in an effort to ensure that the ball stays on our property.
I'm sure its also tough sticking your neck out there on a forum and having people jump all over you. People look at your situation and reflect it back to their experience. So when I hear someone talk about kids jumping fences all I think about are the broken solar lights, rear patio screen door, and utility bin lid that was used as a ladder. Someone else may say "what is the big deal" because it has never adversely affected them. So people are just responding to the limited information provided. I have just had so many problems with our neighbor kids that this topic makes my blood boil immediately. Everything from playing basketball right outside our young daughters window and midnight and starting up again a 5:30 the next morning to try to start a teen basketball league on the street (10-20 teens at anyone time until late in the night) during the highest covid restrictions, followed by loud music starting at 11:00pm outside.

In the end multiple people on the block ended up calling both by-law and the police multiple times before things finally started to calm down.

Last edited by RogerWilco; 07-10-2020 at 12:32 PM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post: