View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is not a lot out there about this. But Stephen Stamp posted this:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...c-d-up-p/55659

"Dobbie was retroactively given a gross misconduct penalty, which carries with it a match penalty and the attendant one- or two-game suspension. The league assessed him a one-game suspension for that infraction.

The kicker, of course, was that Dobbie had received a match penalty for facemasking in a game against Saskatchewan almost two years ago, on January 27, 2018. That penalty was also applied after review: Dobbie took a facemasking minor four and a half minutes into the game and went on to score 2 goals and 5 assists, including scoring a goal with a minute to play to force overtime in a game the Roughnecks eventually lost 13-12.

As a repeat offender, Dobbie was automatically slapped with an additional five-game suspension. Naturally, with the league's reigning MVP set to miss one-third of Calgary's 18-game schedule for an offence that viewers didn't see happen, there were plenty of questions and second guessing.

I wrote to the league to ask if there would be an announcement about why the penalty was imposed. They replied quickly with the following.

"This is a private matter that has been resolved by including everyone involved. We consider this closed and are not going to comment further on any details. The resulting judgment came from the input of all involved and speaks for itself. There will be no further comment." - Nick Sakiewicz, Commissioner

To say the least, that did not satisfy fans, media or anyone else who follows the league closely. Rumours will swirl. I don't know exactly what happened but I do have it from a good source that the penalty arose from something that Dobbie said post-game.

That raises many questions that I think the league would be better off answering than sweeping under the rug, for reasons both of credibility and pragmatism."
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: