View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #1397
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
two things

1) What the typical person perceives as "bass" is often a frequency response bump in the 100hz - 250hz range.

A subwoofer should be operating in the 20hz - 100hz range. If level matched correctly it should not actually be noticeable unless the source material contains the information. Additionally while a subwoofer increases your headroom you have to actually utilize said headroom. Often this reality can be disappointing because people have false expectations of the job of a subwoofer. Often people are expecting inaccurate frequency response- a boom effect - rather than simple reproduction of the source material.

2) frequencies below the Schroeder frequency of a room are dominated not by the source but rather by its interaction of standing waves within the room itself. Two towers placed at typical tower locations will often naturally produce more even frequency response than the unpredictable peals and valleys of a single subwoofer placed "somewhere" within the room. Placement of the subwoofer has more effect than distance due to the physical size of the wavelengths at these frequencies. Ideal setups always utilize multiple subwoofers in a room to cause a random and even distribution of standing waves. Experiment with placement. Ideally you should possess the actual ability to measure frequency response at your seating position as the ear can't identify the nulls and peaks that standing waves cause.

One more thing actually although I think it is unrelated to your issue:

A 12" subwoofer is actually really limited for LFE reproduction. It's simple physics- you need a certain amount of displacement of air to hit a cerrtain SPL at a ceertain frequency. This is especially true below ~35hz and even moreso at infrasonic frequencies.
I think I was expecting to be "blown away" haha. Maybe a few too many beers at the game last night.

I'll do a more level approach tonight, it definitely sounded better.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote