View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #66
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes. Stats should be used to support an argument, they shouldn't be the argument.

There is far too much grey matter in hockey for stats to be definitive. Yet so many articles today are simply a collection of stats that are attempting to create the argument: player/team A is better than player/team B because X. Not only are the conclusions drawn from those arguments unjustifiable on their own (see grey matter), but, as kermitology mentioned, the writing style is boring and one dimensional.

The trend to this 'analytics' style of writing does nothing for me, and I am sure as hell not going to pay for it. I want to see more articles about the players, more insight, more breakdown of video on set plays and strategies, and more behind the scenes stuff. I can get stats myself.

Oh, I would like to add one more point: never make the mistake that Sportsnet makes and have a guy like Spector providing Flame content. I would rather have no content than a thinly veiled piece from an Oiler homer, pretending to be an insider, and pretending to be unbiased. Integrity matters.
This is why the Athletic should hire Darren Hayes, full stop. It's a huge bonus to the Athletic that he happens to be available right now, if they reach out I'm certain they'll be happy with what they get in him.

The perfect balance between providing data/info while telling it in a palatable story like manner. This would get me in 100%, although I was already swaying toward taking it up.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-14-2018 at 01:44 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote