View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #665
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Sure, there can be overkill. Golden State making 5 finals in a row is probably too much. Although those Cavs-Warriors Finals got huge ratings.

But if this iteration of the Colorado Avalanche, who we all agree is amazing, can never make it past the 2nd round, that's a problem. I'm not saying they need to win every year, but they should be in a conference final or a Stanley cup final and battle with another great team, like Tampa. I mean, we're not asking the league to rig it, just call the game properly.
I hear what you're saying. But the Avs losing is not in itself a problem. If you're saying that hockey is too evenly matched, and the playoff results too random so as not to reward the best teams, there is some truth to that.

But I think you also have to acknowledge that there are consistently top teams in hockey that have playoff success. Sure the Blues snuck in there (a la the Raptors) but the last decade is littered with great teams and repeating champions.

Maybe Vegas is just better than the Avs? 3 conference finals in 4 years would indicate they are an excellent team.

Personally I'd say the bigger issue is that the players on most of these teams are far too anonymous. Fans got riled up over Curry, Durant, James etc. playing on these super teams. Great players like Stone and Pietrangelo are utterly anonymous, even hard core hockey fans wouldn't recognoize them on the street. So it's pretty hard to have strong feelings about these teams for the average Joe.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: