View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #977
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Alberta government has expressed an commitment in having two freeways entering the city from the east in the long term. Those two freeways will be Highway 1 and Highway 22X.

The reason I acknowledge this is because although the government hasn't said anything about it, there may be hints that they are looking at creating a new official Trans Canada Highway Calgary bypass route. So then commuters that was to drive past Calgary don't have to deal with the lights on 16th ave or take a very long loop around the north half of the city.

In documents overlooking Highway 1 alignment & network planning, there's been concepts in having Highway 1 and Highway 22X connect. The pdf below (59MB) showed a plan of this:

Open House #2

However after open house #3 last year, this link has been removed and an incomplete Highway 22X plan: Recommended Plan (Highway 22X Plan west of Highway 901)

If the province is considering having Highway 22X connect with Highway 1 east of Calgary, this may be an opportunity to make a bypass route making use of the SW ring road. Highway 22X would connect with Highway 1 in someway; probably by twinning Highway 901 through the Siksika native reserve. From there the route would travel west on 22X all the way until it reaches the SW ring road via Sarcee Trail. Then head up north on that road until Glenmore where it'll bend west. It'll then bend back north when it reaches Stoney, and will continue up that until it reaches the TCH interchange.

It would look something like this.

If this is something the province is considering, it makes it even more important to get the route through the reserve. The road is projected to carry a lot of traffic volume, so ultimately it's suppose to be 16 lanes of traffic, featuring express lanes. I imagine this is because this leg of the ring road would be for both the inner and outer ring road to avoid attempt of putting another freeway through the reserve. But it also should have no problem carrying bypass traffic as well.

I think this gives even more reason in why the reserve route is the only good option.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post: