View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #144
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
If you can do the work from small town Canada, you can do the work from India as well. The remote work will not be a long term trend. Post covid customer facing roles will go back to customer facing and the remote jobs will be off shored or automated.

Just wanted to note that before everyone buys a house in Nelson.
I get this sentiment on a micro scale, but on a macro scale this is kind of the same erroneous thinking as the fear of automation. There are lots of corruptions and inefficiencies in our economies, but overall the purpose of a countries economy is to allocate it's resources amongst it's population. Generally speaking over a period of time the economy should backfill with jobs that will employ enough people to distribute it's wealth.

I know I've argued allot against the current iteration of conservative economics on this board, and ridiculed the idea of the invisible hand. But that is more in the context of needing strong government regulation to prevent capital from accruing and concentrating in a way that stymies opportunity.

In the concept of job creation, if you are skilled worker in a wealthy nation, you will generally have the opportunity to earn a good living, we just might have to get used to the context of those jobs shifting over time.
#-3 is online now   Reply With Quote