View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #64
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I don't seem to understand how some people end up close to spats in these situations and yet always say they didn't do anything to escalate it. Maybe somehow the way some people are responding are setting these guys off? It's like the existence of these people freak out a ton of people with vivid imaginations or something. They're just people.

I run into these types of people all the time near the belt line by Sheldon Chumir (used to live in the area and I visit the area on a regular basis) and I always say something like, "Sorry, don't smoke. Sorry, no change." and I've never had much more of an issue other than the occasional guy yelling, "I know you're lying" or something like that. One guy that berated me actually ran away when I said, "No I'm not, but how about I go into Mac's here and buy you a coffee?". When I see them on the street, I don't immediately look away either, I often try to look at them, smile and nod as I pass buy. I found at times living in the belt line that treating these people as invisible would on occasion set them off. Quite a few of them mention they just want to be treated as human rather than sub-human when I chat with them.

I've also been in a situation where another regular panhandler defended me when another panhandler guy somehow flipped out at me. The guy that flipped out at me immediately apologized to me (I think I gave the guy who defended me a few cigs one time I saw him). It was kind of a weird and funny situation TBH.

I remember there was a panhandler in the Chinook Mall pedestrian bridge who was slightly more confrontational than normal, but it wasn't more than than two guys kinda walking in the same direction as me and moreso begging for change. I was perhaps annoyed but not worried, but my wife was totally freaked out. Similar things have happened in the +15, but those guys generally seem a little less annoyed when ignored.
I see panhandlers every day never a problem I politely say no and if thats enough to provoke someone into throwing a rock at your head thats not normal. Sometimes people with mental health issues can turn on you for the slightest things and it is outside of your control. If I was dead or incapacitated it wouldnt be a thread here anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote