View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #36
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not arguing the point, I'm just saying that the reason MAF's cup wins are often discounted by some to a certain degree is because he was on a team with the best player in the world, plus a guy who was in the top five at least. Frankly I think the best thing that ever happened to MAF rep wise is going to Vegas, to get out of Crosby/Malkin's shadow.

I think you are referring to his WJC gaffe, and I agree that's hurt him rep-wise. Plus his random stumbles in the POs (Boston series IIRC).
Yes, his WJC gaffe was unfortunate - if he'd had an Olympics or World Cup performance as a pro to fall back on, even something at the WHC, I think that'd help his cause. Unfortunately, you need some iconic game tape wearing a red maple leaf for this country to put you into a certain pantheon.

The Philadelphia series when Fleury and Bryz showed the world just how unwatchable hockey in the 80s actually was.

Bryz: .887 3.46
Fleury: .834 4.63

I got blackout drunk during the deciding game of that series while helping buddies clean out their dorm room of any remaining alcohol.

It's very strange when people discount the achievements of goalies because they play with elite forwards. If those forwards don't have a goalie, they don't win their championships. The only team I can think of that overcame appalling goaltending to win it all was the 09 Hawks, and if they hadn't been facing a Flyers team with even worse goaltending from Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher, they wouldn't have won either.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote