View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #774
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I agree with 868904 when it comes to putting Bennett on the top line, at least to start the season.

I don't know much about Lindholm's play, but having read up on his preference for playing centre, his stats, and watching some of his highlights, I think he's a player more likely to help push Monahan to 40 goals rather than being a goal scorer in his own right. I also think the top line needs the physical presence that Ferland had, and Bennett at least brings the bang and crash. It really should also be a make or break season for him: if he can't replace Ferland's production on the top line, I think the Flames are going to have to accept he's just not the player they thought they were drafting.

I also really like the idea of spreading the talent around the remaining 3 forward lines - almost like having 3 lines of similar quality, especially if Jankowski can take a step. Lots of options for mixing and matching between these lines too.

Still missing a goal scoring winger though. It remains a glaring hole on this roster unfortunately, and scoring by committee hasn't worked in the Flames' favor. Still, with a new coach and some young players coming up, it likely makes more sense to stand pat until we see what the Flames have in training camp, then look to address this missing piece during the season if necessary.

I'm pretty happy with the goaltending situation as it stands, and would maybe look for a more experienced backup around the trade deadline if they're in good playoff position.

In a way, I almost feel the team has gone back in time a couple of years in the rebuild - to a roster with more potential and uncertainty. Hopefully it plays out well early in the season and the team doesn't continue the play of the last couple of years.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote