View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #1489
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright guys, real talk about Tabletopia, because if I'm going to sign up for this thing I'd like it to not be a big disappointment.

It says 800 games are available, which is... a lot! But then I'm looking through the games list and I see... okay, Scythe, good stuff, I like Scythe. I like Champions of Midgard too. Terra Mystica isn't usually a game I play, but I recognize its qualities, and the same is true for Brass. They have Everdell and Wingspan, which are popular, even though I thought Wingspan was a touch overrated. Vast isn't bad. I like Secret Hitler, but basically everything I like about it is eliminated by playing it online...

... And that's sort of it, really. I tried looking for any of the games I like, and pretty much nothing is on there. There's no Blood Rage, no TFM, no Fantasy Flight games of any description (perhaps not surprisingly), no Dead of Winter, basically nothing co-op that I want to play. Strikingly absent are euro classics like Puerto Rico and Power Grid. In fact, besides Scythe, I don't think there's a single game in my games cabinet (which is neither excessive nor modest) that appears in this library.

So I guess my question is, does "800 games" really mean 800 games, or does it mean maybe 20 games and then 780 crappy pieces of filler that no one would actually want to play? Because when the #4 and #6 recommended games are Chess and Texas Hold'em, I'm skeptical that this thing is actually as developed as it needs to be to truly call itself an online board gaming platform. I was sort of hoping for Board Games Steam, here...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote