View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I was with you until you used CLS instead of HOME to clear the screen. You must have been a Commodore guy, not an Apple guy. And I was starting to like you

This sent me down memory lane a little - the computer in Wargames was an IMSAI microcomputer that ran CP/M. Looking for what the clear screen command would have been for that computer, I found that there are a few different BASIC interpreters available for CP/M. At the end of the the link is a brief description of the Super Star Trek game. I remember finding the listing for this game somewhere, and reading through it. It was one of the games that sparked my love for programming - the text-based map display blew me away.
Oh man, sorry for going way off topic, but I had a hazy recollection of where I saw the Star Trek code listing. I had this old yellow book that just had listings of BASIC computer games. For some reason, I thought the author was related to the Amdahl computer. So I did a google search, and found it!

Basic Computer Games by David Ahl (not related to Amdahl). Looking at the table of contents picture, I see Super Star Trek in there. I typed in many of the games from the book into my Apple IIe, and it taught me that there were different "dialects" of BASIC, so not all listings would work without modification. Super Star Trek I remember was really long - I think the font size was half the size of the other listings, and it still took pages to list, so I never tried typing it in, but I read through it, and learned a lot.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote