View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Love steaks, my method. Get the steak to room temperature, season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper 5 minutes before cooking. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Get the pan nice and hot, put a big enough blob of regular olive oil in to cover the bottom of the steak and let the oil heat up to pan temperature (not quite smoking). Put the steak in, should hear a nice sizzling sound. Sear the first side for a minute or two until you get a nice color. Flip the steak and let it sear on the other side for a minute then move the pan to the oven to finish. How long it stays in the oven depends on how thick the steak is and how you like it cooked. Don't forget to rest the steak for a bit before cutting into it. I like to deglaze the pan with a little bit of wine and pour the juice over the steak while it is resting.

The most important thing is the quality of the steak that you start with. If you have a nice rib eye or strip loin you are good to go. If you have a cheaper cut you may want to marinate or tenderize it. Nothing beats a nice 1" thick rib eye IMO.
Disagree, never should you put a steak in an oven to cook. If you're going to cook it in a pan you cook it on one side for 4-5 minutes (depends on thickness), flip it and cook it for the same amount, take it out and serve it.

After going from the pan to a BBQ I am sticking to the BBQ, way juicer. Just got to drizzle the oil on the steak before you put it on.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote