Thread: Draft Re-caps
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2018 Carolina Hurricanes Draft

This season a the Canes put a heavy stock in their armature scouting staff in hopes to rebuild the decade struggling franchise. With a new head scout and a new team philosophy, the Canes began to reshape the franchise

1st Round
#10 Noah Dobson
The Canes were praying that Bouchard would fall in the CPHL draft, they hoped hype behind Hughes and Dobson would have leapfrogged the rearguards and had Bouchard fall to the Canes. Luck would not have it, but drafting Noah Dobson was the impact defender the Canes were hoping for

#11 Barrett Hayton
Embarrassing, the canes forgot they had the 11 pick and was so happy to have drafted Dobson that they ended up stalling draft waiting for whoever had 11 to pick. Doh! The Canes originally had Hayton slotted for the 14th selection, but in a panic, we selected the two-way center. We desperately wanted Hayton since mid-season and was hoping that his play would be overshadowed in the Soo enough for him to become a Cane

#14 Ty Smith
Smith ended up being a follow-up pick to the Dobson selection. We were taking advantage of our draft position to secure our defence for the future. Also, just simply the best player available on our list even though I expect to see him fall in the NHL draft next weekend.

#18 Ryan McLeod
Like Hayton, the Canes were on the McLeod train since last year. We were expecting the center to be drafted in the late first but was afraid to try and trade down to select him in what would be a more fitting position. I ended up just drafting higher then I should just to secure him. The thought of coming out of the draft with Hayton and McLeod as a 1 2 down the middle was too hard to avoid.

2nd Round
#29 Martin Kaut
Once again the Canes were in the BPA mindset after Berggren, Lundestrom and Dellandra were no longer on the board due to first-round selections. I will admit I know nothing about Kaut and I'm not going to act like I do, but I pulled the trigger on him so I can still take credit if he hits

#33 Liam Foudy
Foudy has been a player that the Canes scouts have been drooling over. It wasn't a case of would he be a Canes but rather how high were the Canes going to take him because they were afraid to lose him. 33 was our number that we were not going to let him fall below

#37 Aidan Dudas
Dudas was a mistake, he was someone that we had pegged to select if he began to fall in the 2nd round and select in the 3rd. Once the Flyers selected Jared McIsaac the pick before us; it set our draft table into a scramble. Hopefully, he can continue his scoring ways and make the Canes look better for the selection then we deserve

#41 Allan McShane
Back on pace with the McShane selection. It was a tough choice between him and Calen Addison, who happened to be selected two spots later.

3rd Round
#65 Alec Regula
Being a heavy D draft, we figured why not go all in and draft Regula in hopes to possible cement our D Core for years to come. With his skating, size and two-way game I don't think there's a lot of risks involved with Regula when it comes to transitioning his game to the next level

#67 Johnny Gruden
Gruden was the last of the targeted players for the Canes, along with Foudy it was just a matter of how high would he be selected. He's an analytics sweetheart and the Canes will willing to dabble in it enough to see out it plays out. Plus being the son of the coach for the Hamilton Bulldogs didn't hurt either

Remaining Picks
#89 Pavel Gogolev
#102 Gabriel Fortier
#121 Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
#138 David Levin

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 06-16-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: