Old 06-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #21
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I mean, which is the more likely scenario:

TLOU2 is a really fantastic game that is almost universally praised, that a couple people seem to not like as much (similar to the first).

Or:

Naughty Dog, one of the most talented and respected devs in the world, spent five years making an absolute dud that Sony is trying to cover up by buying out reviewers.

You seem to be blowing a couple less glowing reviews out of proportion while ignoring the good ones because they sound too good.
I don't think that's what they're getting at, and I don't think there's any value in dismissing negative reviews just because most are positive. This Forbes article, which highlights some of the negative reviews the game has had, explains it in this way:

Quote:
This post was not intended to turn people away from playing this game—those people who want to play it and are excited about it will play it regardless, after all, and the balance of positive-to-negative reviews is clearly tilted heavily toward the game being a masterpiece. The reason I focused on the more critical reviews is because I think they’re more helpful in a lot of ways. There’s only so much we can glean from a bunch of 10/10 reviews praising the game as one of the best ever made.

Sure, that’s nice to read when you’re a fan and you’re hyped to play something new, but it’s not helpful to people who want to read criticism. Put another way, sometimes it’s smart to read the minority opinion simply because you’ll get something you won’t find elsewhere. In some cases, the minority opinion is the lone voice that likes something everybody else is panning...

In this instance, the majority of critics are raving about The Last Of Us II, and that’s definitely great news for fans and for Naughty Dog and I’m sure they’ll sell millions of copies. I don’t think pointing to why a handful of critics were disturbed by the game, or found its message lacking or its story full of holes or its characters too changed from the original, will somehow outweigh the dozens of critics who are giving this game perfect scores.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#50fd5cde30a4

I find myself on the side of "cautiously optimistic." Even the positive reviews have mentioned things that just don't seem very enjoyable. And while everything is expanded, nothing seems to really be made better. And some things, like the character development and the power and nuance of the message in the first one, have been largely lost.

I loved the first one. But I'm not going to write off negative reviews because they don't agree with what I want to believe about this one. In fact, I haven't really read any reviews (I read this article solely because this discussion encouraged me to go looking for something). But before today, even after hearing the countless 10/10s, my excitement for the game was pretty tepid.

It's a sequel where the things that made the first game work were unique, powerful and something we'd barely seen before. And that included the ending, which (with a sequel) no longer means much. I hope I love it, but I don't see any point in getting dismissive of someone who isn't sure they will too.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: