Thread: Disney+
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #728
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe anyone could be on Disney's side.

I guess one can argue the language in the contract and that the lawyers should have had more coverage for this type of scenario - But when the entire way a business distributes it's product and revenue strategy changes it is almost impossible to have written into the contract.

Actors taking a cut of revenue for lower salaries, etc has been very common for years. I believe Forest Gump was the trend setter where both Hanks and the director gave up significant portions of their salary to help keep movie costs down in exchange for % of revenue.

This is a profit share agreement - That one side is trying to get out of using a technicality when they still made the profit.

Imagine if there was no pandemic and theaters just realized they could make more $$ streaming then in theaters and put everything straight to theaters. Non of the actors should get their share of the profit?

The reason the contracts historically stated "Theatrical Release" is so the actors don't earn $$ for perpetuity and/or to effect the ability to sell/license movies to streaming services (Disney owns their own so not an issue there)

I guarantee you if there was another Avengers in the pipeline with her they wouldn't be doing this.

Legally they may have a foot to stand on, but ethically and the spirit of the contract they are clearly in the wrong

I would love nothing better then every other actor to boycott Disney. But we all know $$ talks and the prospect of being in a big Disney film will always win out
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote