View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #33
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
are we really going to utilize the point or just talk about it? i will be completely honest; as someone that plays primarily D, aside from Human Torch (StMerc) most people rarely passed to the point. there would be time i wouldn't even bother to skate to the offensive zone; it was pointless. (haha nice pun!) it often felt like we would just play with 3 people in the offensive zone. i know for me it was one of the reasons i soured on the team and took my break. it made playing not very enjoyable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckieNZ View Post
Yes, but it goes both ways too. I know there were times when I was loathe to pass back to the point too, because the chances of a turnover/breakaway going the other way was too high. The best teams have arguably their best players on D for this reason. And trusting your team mates is another issue. To play a complete team game, there has to be a certain level of trust. I don't have that with some players, which probably contributes to the view that I am a selfish player.
I think we'll just have to be smart with the puck when we pass it back to the point and players that our defense will gain the skill to be responsible with it at the point since they will be part of the play. Firing it back when the defender is farily covered isn't going to make the defense job easy. But when do they get the puck they'll need to be aware and prepared to get rid of the puck quickly if pressure comes. If we can move the puck to the point and contorl it, thus making it part of our play style, it opens up the offensive zone for us completely instead of only working down low and trying to pass into the slot which teams can completely block out. With having defenders be part of the offense and taking shots or moving the puck around from and to the point, the offensive zone is open for us to set up space and open up good offense chances for each other. We will never be shut down offensively because we are being too one dimensional. Thats why I don't want point play to be just talk this year and actually something we utilze. I'm sure that our defensive players will be able to preform well enough. Besides, practice makes perfect even if we have troubles off the bat.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote