View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #893
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Quick question for people who don't want to trade Backlund. If this team is going to improve, it has to be through trades as well as drafting and UFA's. If this team is going to improve at all, it has to make trades. Who from the Flames roster/farm do you think could be traded for the kind of players this team needs?
At this phase of the rebuild we're still in the asset accumulation phase. Pick up as many young assets and picks as possible. Find out who your core guys are that you wanna build around.

As early as this offseason we can start to pivot and then look to move picks/prospects/redundant young players (ala Granlund) for NHLers just in their prime to supplement our core. It may not happen as quickly as this offeason but it should happen in the next 1.5 years IMO.

I mean you can trade whoever. I just think Backlund is not a guy we're "shopping" or looking to move. You can move him but it opens a hole immediately that we probably can't fill immediately. I'd be looking to build around Backs, he looks like an above average 3rd line centre and our centre depth looks great long term with Bennett, Monahan and Backlund.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: