View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #2165
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
That's kind of the way of the many faced men. They blend in and gather information. Arya was using the information from the soldiers to gather as much information about Cersei down south as she could. She was so confident in her ability to be unassuming that she is able to tell them what her plan is (killing Cersei) without fear of them catching on.

Also, Arya is now a trained assassin used to going toe to toe with fighters who've mastered not only fighting skills but the supernatural. These kind of low level scrub soldiers aren't going to be a threat to her in any way. Initially when she approaches them, she does have her hand on her sword too. Had Arya recognized a threat, she would have gone about the whole thing differently, likely killing the majority of them and torturing the survivors for info.
And from a big picture angle, it seemed to me that just because they are Lannister soldiers, it doesn't make them evil.

Arya is now a stone cold killer, but I don't think it would reflect very well if she just murdered everyone she didn't like. Her character needs to be at least somewhat sympathetic. Killing Meryn ####ing Trant wasn't a big deal and mudering the Frey's seem justified but if she kills everybody then it is hard to connect with her character anymore. She'd be no better than the Hound (or at least what the Hound used to be).

Outside of showing us something about Arya, I like the scene because it showed us yet another glimpse of how the regular folk are all just pawns in the game of thrones. Seeing how even the "evil" Lannister soldiers can be regular guys was a nice change of pace. Up to this point the show has generally portrayed all Lannister soldiers through the seasons as total scumbags who probably deserve killing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: