Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #1388
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Windows XP handles up to 4GB of RAM.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223/

You might be confusing it with how it splits that memory though. It reserves 2 GB for shared access memory, leaving 2 GB for dedicated process memory. I believe this ratio scales but it interacts with how the page-file is setup so it can get a bit confusing.

Windows is not as gimpy as people make it out to be. And given Vista's current performance, XP is probably the best bet out there. Only buy the Professional version though.
XP will never see more than around 3.2GB (supposedly there are a few motherboards that can do it, but they are rare). Even then, only the first 2 GB are available for program use (unless you use the /3GB switch in BOOT.INI) The remainder of the room is actually used for hardware addressing. Since a 32bit OS cannot address more than 4GB, the hardware addressing must also occur below the 4GB limit and that uses up some of the available addresses meaning they cannot be used to address memory.

I agree with you about XP Pro, although for my home system the only time I notice a limitation is when I want to work from home. I have Vista Business on a laptop and haven't had any issues with it, at least no more than switching between any of 3.1, 95, NT4, Win2K, XP.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti