View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 AM   #1386
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
So I'm looking at upgrading my laptop, but I'm trying to find one with a graphics card and screen size that will be able to run my slingbox. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...bsd&cs=cabsdt1 but I was told that the intel graphics card isn't that good??? Anyone?
Whatever graphics card you get does not matter at all if you are just running anything 2D like the slingbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc
I should also point out I use it for some CAD work, VOIP (so a camera and mic is handy), and have a tendency to load up my equipment with a billion programs. Memory size is a must as well (I'm assuming 2GB) due to the amount of files I'm constantly sending overseas. Can I get something like this for around $1500?
Memory has nothing to do with the amount of files you are sending, you are probably confusing that with harddrive storage? Memory will matter if you run many, many large programs simulataneously or several resource hogging programs but generally won't matter according to the needs you stated. A standard 1GB will be enough. Honestly, by the needs you posted, a $500 laptop that has a built in webcam will get you by. Unless the type of CAD work you do is very intensive and requires 3D acceleration and uses a lot of resources and buffering...then I would go for more ram and a more powerful videocard but the intel cards are no slouch unless you are playing games. Keep in mind that WindowsXP can't use anything more than 2GB and only Vista or x64 can make use of more than 2GB of ram.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-19-2007 at 02:39 AM.