View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #131
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
. The one excuse I don't really buy is that Naughty Dog told the story they wanted to tell. Most publishers and most storytellers are able to do this, but it has no relevance to the quality of the story told.
I think based on your post generally, I enjoyed it more than you did, because I was able to immerse myself in the gameplay more than it sounds like you did. I also did care, to some extent, about a few of the characters. Just nowhere near as much as TLOU1 made me care about Joel and Ellie.

But on the quoted, yes. Yes, a thousand times yes. I am fine with Naughty Dog telling the story they wanted to tell. But in this case, the story they wanted to tell was told poorly. I'm not even aware of what plot holes bax was referring to. The central issue wasn't logic, it was structural. The whole thing is structurally disjointed and badly paced, especially in the second half. It just didn't work.

I have to think that if TLOU2 were a released as a movie, this would be the main complaint of professional critics. Having a good story to tell, or a good point to make, is only half the battle. If you tell it poorly, or can't communicate it effectively, it really doesn't matter what you're trying to say.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: